Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Liars Come A Dime A Dozen

I've been back in the dating world for about five months now and there have been two things that's been made abundantly clear to me: one of them is that the world is filled with liars.

Not so much the type of liar who tries to scheme something out of you.  But the type of liar who will tell you what you want to hear knowing that they have no intention of following up.  I hate it when someone says that they're going to do something knowing that they're not going to make an attempt at all.  I am a man of my word and I absolutely do not say I'm going to do something without doing it (barring some emergency).  Lord knows that I've dealt with my share of people who don't subscribe to the same theory though.

The second thing that I've learned is that: women lie just as much as men.  And they're not as good at it as they may have once been historically.  Lying is definitely no longer a "man thing" in 2015.  From the lies told on Facebook to the lies told in reality, so many women appear to be in some invisible competition that requires them to act more than what they are.  Sometimes I look at some of the things that my lady FB friends post and think to myself, "Doesn't she know that some of her friends know her in real life?"

But the pressure of 5,000 "friends" will drive some people to do so many things just to maintain their online reputation.  Even if it soils their real life reputation.

I guess all I can do is try to sort out the good from the bad.  I understand that not everyone is honest and that some lies aren't meant to be harmful (telling someone with a messed up hairstyle that it "looks good" to avoid hurting their feelings).

Lying may be a necessary evil in some situations.  But to what I would guess is a majority of American citizens, it's not that big of a deal to lie to someone you know or don't know just to get some sort of temporary (and mostly meaningless) victory from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog